2019: A Bulleted List of Things That Happened So Far

Hey guys! Hope the first month of 2019 went well for you and that the second one has been filled with plenty of joyful moments. I haven’t done a personal post since last year so I thought I’d do a quick life update in the form of a bulleted list:

  • Got back into personal essay writing, which I haven’t done as much of since college. It’s been kind of fun and a little more artful of a way to capture memories and emotions than journaling (though I’ve also been trying to do that more as well)
  • Collaborated with HuffPost Personal on an essay about my experience living in women’s housing as a trans man. It was probably one of the toughest articles I’ve written in my freelancing career so far because I wanted it to not sound critical towards the LGBT or religious communities. The most rewarding outcome of writing the article so far has been connecting a little more with the queer Mormon community on Twitter!
  • Moved into new apartment that cut my commute time by an hour, which has done so much for my emotional stability in the mornings hoo boy
  • Worked on my three non-writing 2019 goals: practice loving kindness meditation, learn more German, and volunteer regularly
  • Became a mental health blogger for HealthyPlace’s LGBTQ column, which is exciting and also nerve-wracking. I’m a little anxious about providing good, uplifting information for such a vulnerable topic but am also excited to spread more awareness and empathy for queer people with mental illnesses
  • Rescued a dog from the animal shelter. She’s a chihuahua and her name is Yoda because of her big, floppy ears
  • Attempted to make brownie waffles–it was a messy but also delicious experiment
  • Started attending church again and exploring spirituality since graduating from BYU–mixed feelings, but I’m hoping to find authenticity and some sort of peace as a religious queer person and this is probably a good first step
  • Began an extensive revision for my baking competition-themed queer YA romance–still hoping to start querying around spring-ish but we’ll see how it goes
  • Listened to a ton of McElroy-based podcasts, one of the most wholesome sources of pleasure in this world

Also, I’ve read a lot of enjoyable books this year so far, including:

  • I Am Malala
  • The Silver Linings Playbook
  • All The Light We Cannot See
  • The Astonishing Color of After
  • Heavy: An American Memoir
  • Last Night I Sang to the Monster
  • God: A Human History
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • Tenth of December
  • Check, Please! Volume One
  • Crux: A Cross-Border Memoir
  • The Universe in a Single Atom
  • Still Alice
  • Four Seasons in Rome
  • My Lady Jane

Like 70% of these were listened to since my day job as a writer involves a lot of independent work time where popping in an audiobook makes things go by faster. And then the other 30% were read either during my commute to work or at home while snuggled up with Yoda while blizzards outdoors made traveling impossible. So far, my favorite is probably either Check, Please! or Tenth of December.

So that, in a nutshell, is 2019 so far. A little exciting, a little challenging, but ultimately a fulfilling start to the year. What about you? How’s your 2019 gone during the first two months?

3 thoughts on “2019: A Bulleted List of Things That Happened So Far

  1. Hey Andy! Great to hear your morning commute is less – I hate traveling far to work!! I’d stay in bed until 8:55am if I could manage it.
    Our Jan/Feb has been ok. Still dealing with the insurance company from the break in when we were away in December. It’s making me want to rip my hair out in frustration. Also, finding a house to live in interstate is awful, but we will get there, and then of course we’ll have to move so I’ve started boxing things up already (but not the books!!!).
    Sending love for the next 10.5 months!! x

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s